As responsible members of our many communities, GKD-USA’s key objectives include sustainability in the broadest sense and the protection of the environment.
It is our commitment that we:
- Foster employee awareness of environmental responsibilities
- Consider environmental impacts when evaluating new products, technologies and manufacturing processes
- Implement conservation of natural resources, pollution prevention and waste minimization
- Encourage research of manufacturing and environmental technologies utilizing long-lasting, recyclable, stainless steel mesh
- Respond appropriately to community and customer requests
- Ensure that products and facilities contribute to a sustainable environment
- Implement manufacturing and production processes that protect the environment
- Utilize packaging that can be recycled and reused
With respect to our product line of stainless steel metal fabrics:
- Stainless steel is an environmentally friendly, sustainable product
- Stainless steel used in GKD metal fabrics contains 35% post industrial and 25% post consumer content recycled material
- Recyclable directly correlates with minimization of waste
- Recycling stainless steel involves no health hazardous materials
- Utilizing GKD metal fabrics is an environmentally responsible and resource efficient choice
- does not require a surface coating that can deteriorate and possibly pollute the environment
- does not require hazardous cleaning products to maintain
- is 100% recyclable, retaining its' inherent qualities throughout the recycling process
- is low maintenance
GKD metal fabrics are non-corrosive, durable, heat, fire and impact resistant and sustainable for all climates and environments
GKD metal fabrics utilized as a building façade or skin mitigates intense sunlight while
- providing shade and ventilation for energy savings through reduced HVAC utilization
- providing usable natural light for energy savings
Using GKD products on your project can contribute to your LEED® points. Remember, in all cases, the stainless steel fabric raw materials are significantly composed of post consumer and post industrial content. And, a very important point to consider about stainless steel is the readily available and active metal markets in place to facilitate re-use of the product.
Sandra C. Hummer, LEED AP
New Construction (Version 2.1)
Energy and Atmosphere:
Energy and Atmosphere Credit 1.0
Optimize Energy Performance: 1-19 Points
Intent: Increase levels of energy performance above the baseline to reduce environmental and economic impacts associated with excessive energy use.
GKD metal fabric utilized as a veil or exterior façade reduces solar heat gain by shading the building, thus reducing the energy required to power HVAC systems. Metal fabric allows the transmission of natural light providing effective internal illumination while reducing the related energy costs.
Material and Resources:
Material and Resources Credit 1.2
Building Reuse: 1 Point
Intent: Extend the lifecycle of existing building stock, conserve resources, retain cultural resources, reduce waste and reduce environmental impacts of new buildings as they relate to materials manufacturing and transport.
Metal Fabrics can be re-used in the same application or re-applied in other applications within or outside the building
Contributing to LEED in this category, an existing building can be fitted with a façade of GKD material for a long lasting, new appearance with the same benefits of sun shading, light intensity mitigation, and energy savings of a new building.
Material and Resources Credit 4.0
Recycled Content: 1-2 Points
Intent: Increase demand for building products that incorporate recycled content materials, thereby reducing impacts resulting from extraction and processing of virgin materials.
The raw material used to produce the cable and wire components of the Metallic Fabric are typically 60% recycled materials and 40% new/raw materials. During the manufacturing and finishing processes, 100% of the scrap or unused material is recycled. The material is 100% recyclable whenever it reaches its’ useful life.
Material and Resources Credit 5.0
Regional Materials: 1-2 Points
Intent: Increase demand for building materials and products that are extracted and manufactured within the region, thereby supporting the use of indigenous resources and reducing the environmental impacts resulting from transportation.
GKD-USA is an international company located on the east coast. Depending on the product selection and project location, we can make a contribution. All finishing and assembly occurs in our facilities in Cambridge, MD.
Indoor Environmental Quality:
Indoor Environmental Quality Credit 8.1
Daylight and Views (Daylight): 1 Point
Indoor Environmental Quality Credit 8.2
Daylight and Views (Views): 1 Point
Intent: Provide building occupants with a connection between indoor spaces and the outdoors through the introduction of daylight and views into the regularly occupied areas of the building.
The use of a metal fabric façade, in all cases, has the benefit of connecting occupants between indoor and outdoor spaces through daylight and views. Undeniably, this leads to greater productivity, healthier environments, increased airflow and shading.
Innovation and Design:
Innovation and Design Credit 2.0
Accredited Professional: 1 Point
Intent: Support and encourage the design integration required by LEED to streamline the application and certification process.
GKD maintains professionals of all types on staff, including LEED AP certified. It is highly probable that your project already has LEED certified members on board.
Site Selection Credit 8.0
Light Pollution Reduction: 1 Point
Intent: Minimize light trespass from the building and site, reduce sky-glow to increase night sky access, improve nighttime visibility through glare reduction and reduce development impact from artificial lighting on nocturnal environments.
A GKD fabric façade on the outside of a building helps to control light intensities from natural and unnatural sources. At the same time, reasonable light is allowed to pass and visibility to the outside is allowed.